C10 Forum  

Go Back   C10 Forum > C10 Specific Forums > 1973-1987 C10 Discussion

Old 07-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #1
kezark31

Send a message via AIM to kezark31 Send a message via Yahoo to kezark31
Default anyone convert r12 to r134a

just wondering if any one has done it. called the ac shop today it 100 bux to charge and 40 to presure test the system. they said that they dont convert the truck because there is to much thats not compatable. said i need a bigger condenser and a diff compressor said i should use a new sanden. im thinking grab all the stuff off a 96 + truck and adapt were neccesary.
kezark31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
chevywrench

I've done a few conversions. Nothing special about it. You have to change out the service ports and flush and back flush the entire system. Use a compatable oil and charge to about 65-75% capacity, as the pressures are different. Ive also use a product called enviro safe. Its a propane based refrigerant. Im not a big fan of it, but it works really good. Just dont like the idea of pumping propane through an a/c system. Also, you will have to change your orffice tube. $140 to charge and "pressure test" seems a little high to me. The pressure test sounds like b.s. to me, because as soon as you charge the system, you will know if its holding pressure or not. Unfortunately, you could call 100 different shops and get that many different answers. And stay away from shops that still use guages and cans to charge a/c systems. You need to put the system into a vacuum in order to PROPERLY charge an R134a system. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
C10LOW

well yea i agree dat u will have to change some stuff in the system to convert to r134a but on most of the systems ive worked on i just changed the service ports flushed out the system and just refill with r134a and all of the systems ive done this too still hold up just as good as r134a but one word of advice never ever ever use stop leak
91B Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic
Fort Riley, Kansas Army
C10LOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #4
kezark31

Send a message via AIM to kezark31 Send a message via Yahoo to kezark31

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevywrench View Post
I've done a few conversions. Nothing special about it. You have to change out the service ports and flush and back flush the entire system. Use a compatable oil and charge to about 65-75% capacity, as the pressures are different. Ive also use a product called enviro safe. Its a propane based refrigerant. Im not a big fan of it, but it works really good. Just dont like the idea of pumping propane through an a/c system. Also, you will have to change your orffice tube. $140 to charge and "pressure test" seems a little high to me. The pressure test sounds like b.s. to me, because as soon as you charge the system, you will know if its holding pressure or not. Unfortunately, you could call 100 different shops and get that many different answers. And stay away from shops that still use guages and cans to charge a/c systems. You need to put the system into a vacuum in order to PROPERLY charge an R134a system. Good luck!
whats and orffice tube? what would i fush the system with?
kezark31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #5
chevywrench

The orffice tube is also called an expansion valve. Should be inside your liquid line, I think either by the condenser or by the evap core. Its basicaly an inline filter. As far as flushing, you need about a gallon of a/c flush and a flush gun. Both available at O'Reilly's/ Checker or Autozone, Pep Boys, Car Quest, etc...
I agree about using any type of sealant or stop leak. Its like putting a band-aid on a bullet wound.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
rusty76

Did my moms car. Put a vaccum pump on it let it run for alittle while and charged it with 134a and no problems what so ever. Shame I don't own a vehicle with AC myself.

NC C10 Owners....come see the fun.

http://www.c10forum.com/forum/group.php?groupid=10
rusty76 is offline   Reply With Quote