C10 Forum  

Go Back   C10 Forum > General Forums > Member Projects

Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 AM   #1
BLCKBETY80

Default 1980 Chevy Big10 build...

Okay as some of you know, I sold my 1973 short bed here recently. I now have this 1980 Chevy Big10. It currently has no drive train at all. This used to belong to a cotton farmer from around the Midland/Odessa, Texas area. It has not been registered since the early 90's. Broken windshield broken sliding rear glass and the side glass mechanisms are shot. Rear glass will be replaced with solid back glass. This was a manual transmission truck so it has a huge hole in the removable trans hump on the floor. Steering column has no shifter glass for gauges is eaten and dry rotted from the sun oh, and it has bad rust through on the floor boards, cab corners, lower part of doors and all other usual places on these trucks. a lot worse condition then I remember it being in. Anyways here are a couple pictures... I picked her up Friday night (01-18-13) and unloaded her off the trailer Saturday afternoon.

How she sat when I arrived at her resting place...

Oh and here are a few things im debating on that if yall have any ideas please feel free to chime in on...

*stay with current front clip or change to the later straight line body line
**leave paint or paint (If painted it will go flat white or flat red)
***standard trans out of later camaro 3 speed or automatic both will be floor shifters with some kind of center counsole
****leave front bumper guards or remove them
*****Another big thing im thinking on doing or NOT doing is leaving the heat and AC components. Im not running ac compressor so the rest is just going to sit and take up space. The heat I know I will miss but the condensor and the other crap I wont.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:48 AM   #2
VegaDesign
green machine

sweet finally starting the build thread!
keep the front clip bro they look sweet slammed.
and im kinda diggin the bumper gaurds, something different

looks like you have a really good starter truck.
basically you have no choice but to build it from the ground up

Bagged 1970 LWB eventually bodydropped DD
http://c10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15900
VegaDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
BLCKBETY80

Some progress on Saturday...

bed off... Had to cut every single bolt not one would budge at all!

pulled front clip off and didnt even break one bolt! I usually end up beaking at least one off the bottom of the fenders.

I also was able to remove the rear bumper, leafs, rearend, shocks, spare tire cross member, and all exhaust hangers. Got the rearend and leafs sand blasted and painted along with the hardware and also got the axle saddles welded on the rearend for the axle flip. Tonight I will get the rear half of the frame all cleaned up and sand blasted to get it ready for paint. Its going the new camaro silver on the outside and some rustoleum silver on the inner part of the frame just to give it a little different contrast and you cant see the inner part of the frame anyway!!! lol...

Rearend and leafs went semi-gloss black along with the hardware. Shocks are gettind painted gloss apple red and again the frame will be silver.

I took the pic when it was still wet so they look glossy but they are not.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
BLCKBETY80

Thanks VD! Yeah Im kinda thinking on leaving the bumper guards I think it will look kinda crazy when its sitting low. kinda like the truck will have a hard under bite! lol... like a wild pig or something!
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
djleighk15

Nice...lookin forward to seeing where this goes
djleighk15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
mooseknuckles

you're off to a nice start!
mooseknuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
slitherfast8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKBETY80 View Post
*stay with current front clip or change to the later straight line body line
**leave paint or paint (If painted it will go flat white or flat red)
***standard trans out of later camaro 3 speed or automatic both will be floor shifters with some kind of center counsole
****leave front bumper guards or remove them
*****Another big thing im thinking on doing or NOT doing is leaving the heat and AC components. Im not running ac compressor so the rest is just going to sit and take up space. The heat I know I will miss but the condensor and the other crap I wont.
I would keep the front clip. At least where I live you see way more with the straight front end.

The flat white or red would be awesome, but I also like the idea of the truck looking like a beat up old farm truck until it blows your doors off leaving the light.

I've never been a big fan of bumper guards but I do think if you leave the original paint it would help with that old beat up look.

With the heat and AC I think really depends on the fact if you plan to sell the truck when you're finished or not. AC and heat help with the resale value and selling the truck quicker. I know AC plays a big role in Texas. I speak from my small corner of it anyways.

That's just my 1.5 cents and at the end of the day you're building this truck for you so do what you feel is cool. Looking forward to more updates.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
izzy383

I like the flat red. Scrap the bumper guards. Scrap the ac and heat. Keeo the front clip. Auto tranny

84 C10 LWB 2wd 305 V8 (Work in progress)
07 Caddilac Escalade 6.2L V8 (weekend cruiser)
12 Dodge Caravan(wife's work vehicle)
02 Dodge Caravan Sport(Daycare Van)
07 GMC Sierra 1500 5.3L V8(daily driver)
izzy383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #9
luifer76
BRINGING BACK C10'S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
X2.....
luifer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:22 AM   #10
BLCKBETY80

Quote:
Originally Posted by djleighk15 View Post
Nice...lookin forward to seeing where this goes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slitherfast8 View Post
I would keep the front clip. At least where I live you see way more with the straight front end.

The flat white or red would be awesome, but I also like the idea of the truck looking like a beat up old farm truck until it blows your doors off leaving the light.

I've never been a big fan of bumper guards but I do think if you leave the original paint it would help with that old beat up look.

With the heat and AC I think really depends on the fact if you plan to sell the truck when you're finished or not. AC and heat help with the resale value and selling the truck quicker. I know AC plays a big role in Texas. I speak from my small corner of it anyways.

That's just my 1.5 cents and at the end of the day you're building this truck for you so do what you feel is cool. Looking forward to more updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy383 View Post
I like the flat red. Scrap the bumper guards. Scrap the ac and heat. Keeo the front clip. Auto tranny
Quote:
Originally Posted by luifer76 View Post
X2.....
Thanks guys! I got the leafs and rearend bolted up to the frame to roll it out of the shop to sand blast the frame. but, I am really leaning towards bagging this thing! I set up the lowered rear last night and just ended up staring at it thinking when I did my 73 I wanted to bag it since I had already taken it this far apart and I have most everything I need to bag it. It is such a hard decision.... Then I was talking to the wife last night and and told her my delema and I brought up the idea of doing the blazer and putting this one on hold cause the blazer will most def be bagged. that one is going to be straight roadster, no heat/AC, full time convertible, and bagged to the rockers! I told her maybe ill start on the blazer that way I can "Get rid of the itch of bagging something again". we will see I have a lot of cleaning up to do before I start any of that on either of them. Oh! Thanks again for yalls input!
Old 04-05-2013, 01:39 PM   #11
slitherfast8

Any thing new with the truck?
Old 04-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #12
BLCKBETY80

I have had a lot going on lots of OT at my daily job. Death in the family and building a truck for a guy to trade for a rolling MAC tool chest. I also got the 2wd blazer from another board member that I have done a little work on. I post pics later if I remember.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #13
BLCKBETY80

So... its been a while since I posted anything. Reason being I have been working on a Ford excab for a buddy of mine. I know I know its a ford but it made me a little cash to get my newest C10 and hopefully get to it again. I have had a lot of changes lately. I will also post pics of the box I traded the BIG 10 for.

Here is the ford before and after...

The story on the Big 10 is I did a minor rebuild on a 1973 police interceptor 350 and TH350 and stuck it in her with a torque converter from the straight six (Kinda like a cheap way to put a racing stall in) sorta... lol redid the interior a little and traded her for this tool box.

The box...

and then I just recently got a 1985 GMC short bed from a guy that started tearing her apart to make a drag truck... Drag racing that is! So here she is..

Nothing special but she is fairly straight. Time to get to work I guess. Dont know wether to start a new thread on her or continue on this one since I didnt get to far with Big10!
Old 08-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
slitherfast8

Glade to see you back on. Look forward to more.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
VegaDesign
green machine

Good to see you back in action
Nice job on that ford
Lets see some shit go down

Bagged 1970 LWB eventually bodydropped DD
http://c10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15900
VegaDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #16
BLCKBETY80

Thanks guys!