C10 Forum  

Go Back   C10 Forum > Suspension & Chassis Forums > Static Droppin'

Notices

Old 06-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
old84

Default Pro Touring Setup

Need some advice on how to do a coilover setup for my 84. I am trying to decide between bagged or a really low coilover setup. I understand a 4 link in the rear with coilovers will work for me but the front is confusing me. The Dropmember with coilovers is out of my price range and would eat of too much of my budget. I will be running a BB396 through a TH350 to a 9 inch with 3:73. I finally got my wheels in and I am ready to do this frame I just need a little direction on the coilover setup.....or if it will be worth it. The bag setup is easy, I just want to do something a little different. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rusty
old84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
J Knight

I think mustangII suspension can be adapted for coil overs.
J Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
1974CS

If you want to keep the stock front cross member, Eibach springs is the way to go. I had them in my 65 shortbed with the trailing arm rear. Those with quality shocks, handles great.
1974CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #4
old84

I guess I would still need to Z the frame to raise the crossmember a bit for clearance? I had a 5/7 at one time the crossmember was a pain. I was hoping I could find some mounting points for coilovers for the front. I dont have to keep the front crossmember but it sure would keep money in my budget to get this truck finished.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #5
bodydropped68

Porterbuilt has three different heights to choose from 5" 6" 7" plus you upgrade to rack and pinion
bodydropped68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:19 AM   #6
Porterbuilt Street Rods

Old84-

What kind of budget do you have planned for the front suspension? If you haven't yet set a fixed amount, do that first. Then put a parts list together and see if the budget is realistic. Also, your fab skillz and access to certain tools and equipment will help keep the overall cost down.... but your knowledge and understanding of suspension plays an even bigger role. If you don't have a good understanding of how it all works take your time to study and read some books.... it will pay off.

Nate
Old 06-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
old84

Nate,
I spoke with you earlier and we decided the the regular dropmember would satisfy my needs....thanks. Is there any book in particular you would recommend reading? I understand the basics but I would really like a better understanding.

Rusty