C10 Forum  

Go Back   C10 Forum > C10 Specific Forums > 1960-1966 C10 Discussion

Old 12-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #1
Bamer36

Default 1963 c10 FUEL TANK

I was wondering where i could get the gas tank to put under the bed of the truck and remove it from the cab. Cant stand the smell of gas anymore, and what else do i need to get all this done. I want to get this done before I redo the bed. I have a 1963 c10 fleet side.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
VBL4LIFE

I've got a '62 ........ Fleetside also.....and I am going with one from a Blazer.....as soon as I come up on one from a wreckn' yard.....But along with that....I need to supposedly change out my fuel gauge....cause the ohms is different than that of a earlier '60's....
VBL4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #3
XXL__
Chief Factotum

1964 and older used 0-30 ohm senders. The common (and easy to install) Blazer tank conversion (Brothers sells a complete kit that is, IMO, reasonably priced) will use the later 0-90 ohm sender. While you can change gauge, it means you will lose the stock look... instead, you can simply install a 47 ohm resistor in series to the sender on the tank and you are done. Scrap Shack sells 47 ohm, 5 watt sand cast resistors for probably $1... which is about 10x what they are worth. To fine tune your gauge reading, use a 47 ohm linear potentiometer instead (probably $3 at Rat Shack). Wire it in parallel and with an empty tank, slowly turn the pot until gauge reads exactly empty. Wash hands. Open beverage.
XXL__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:18 PM   #4
VBL4LIFE

Bad ass...thanks for the info on that issue......Good to know.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
lakeroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamer36 View Post
I was wondering where i could get the gas tank to put under the bed of the truck and remove it from the cab. Cant stand the smell of gas anymore, and what else do i need to get all this done. I want to get this done before I redo the bed. I have a 1963 c10 fleet side.
The blazer tanks hang down pretty low, I didn't like the look and went a different route. Here is a "how to" thread I authored on the under bed tank I installed: http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh.../post/new/#NEW

My 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

-- A smart man learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others. --
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
XXL__
Chief Factotum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
The blazer tanks hang down pretty low, I didn't like the look and went a different route. Here is a "how to" thread I authored on the under bed tank I installed: http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh.../post/new/#NEW

Your parts choice is probably even better than Blazer-style conversion as you're right, the Blazer tank does hang fairly low (not a safety problem, even on a VERY low vehicle, but can be seen below rolled pan or bumper if you're looking). Plus, you get to stay 0-30 ohm sender.
XXL__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
Bamer36

I for got to say that my truck is sitting on the a 72 frame is that going to make a difference.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Dragons_Fire

LMC makes a kit for the '63, including the tank. Just FYI
Dragons_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #9
lakeroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXL__ View Post
Plus, you get to stay 0-30 ohm sender.
Most of the new tanks have a universal flange and the 0-30 ohm sender isn't a big deal. I bought one from Brothers that was a direct bolt into the Tanks '49-'52 Chevy passenger car gas tank.

My 1965 C10 SWB Step Side Build Thread

-- A smart man learns from his own mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others. --
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote